Saturday, February 18, 2012

Cooking...yes, you read it right




I started this whole process with my food processor. I had not gotten my new blender when I started this, so I used my food processor for this recipe. I had a red and green pepper to start, then added a bunch of other vegetables that I had in my refrigerator. Broccoli, spinach, onion, zucchini, and tomatoes. Not sure if I had added more or not. I used a can of tomato paste and two cans of spaghetti sauce, but I will stop adding that when I can get the recipe perfected. I think the sugar in the canned sauces is the addiction that I have. I added about 2 pounds of ground beef and a pound of Italian sausage which I had browned. This mixture spent all day in my new 7 quart crock pot.

When I realized how much sauce this made, I knew I would have to figure out a way to preserve it because the three of us would not eat that much sauce in two days. I have a Food Saver, but it doesn't work well with liquid because the vacuum pulls the liquid and then the bag won't seal. My thoughts were, I need to freeze the sauce first, then store it. So, I started by putting the sauce in a silicone loaf pan that I usually use for breads and put the sauce in the freezer.




Jim thought I was making bricks. I took these "bricks" out of the pan. The silicone pans are so slick, the frozen block just pops right out. I then put them in a Food Saver bag and sealed them up nice and tidy.


It is important to label the finished product. I am sure that if I don't, I would pull out one of these blocks thinking it was a yummy loaf of banana bread and be surprised to find it to be a yummy block of spaghetti sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment