Friday, March 13, 2020

Peace During a Storm

If you happen to read my blog, you probably recall reading the story of the unrest I had during the weeks that followed the 9/11 attack on our country. I was a mess. I admit it, I lived in fear, paralyzing fear. Not just a concern or looking at it as unbelievable, but heart stopping fear. I could not get my head to accept what my heart knew. I trusted God. I knew He loved me and my family and that nothing would come to harm us that He wasn't fully aware of and in control of. I still feared.

Now, many years have come and gone, I eventually started to live again and function. Today as we experience a different type of attack on our world, I do not have that fear. I don't fear the virus will harm me in a health sense. The concern I have is what the panic and fear is doing to our world. I look at the financial aspect, everyone everywhere will be losing money over this. Think of the hotels and venues that are cancelling events. They are not going to easily recoup their losses. It is sad.

But, what are we supposed to do? Do we panic and look to the days and weeks ahead and live in fear of a fall of our economy? Will that solve anything? No!! What we really need to do is be thankful for what we have been given in preparation for this catastrophe. Many people criticize social media, a huge dislike for the internet and how it has invaded our everyday life, and now, we can see it as a blessing. Many who fall into the category of "compromised" can remain safely quarantined in their home and still have contact with the outside world. People can go to church without going to church, not to say this is a good excuse for not being with others, at least the word can be heard without the risk or chance of exposure.

Just some thoughts I have had mulling around in my head. But mostly, I see the parallel to 9/11 and am so grateful that I am not back there. I am thankful that God has grown me in the past 19 years (and even before that) to really completely trust in Him. I pray the same for anyone reading this. Put your trust in God, He will sustain you.

My life verse has become Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."



1 comment: