Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Dad and the Story of Samuel

I started reading the Bible to Ryan this week. I have neglected reading to him for a very long time, usually it was because I was too tired or too annoyed to read to him. This past week I read a book and in the book the author referred to the story of Esther. I thought about the Old Testament stories and how I have not really read them a lot with Ryan. So, we started with Esther. Then went on to Ruth, and tonight we started 1 Samuel. When I finished the first two chapters, I was reminded that the third chapter of 1 Samuel is my all time favorite story in the Bible. Why is it my all time favorite? Well, because I can remember my dad telling me that story when I was a child, not once, not twice, but over and over again. I wonder if I asked him to tell it to me or if he just told it to me. I don't recall ever begging to hear it again but I know I heard it a lot. When I finished the second chapter tonight, I told Ryan, "The next chapter is the story that my dad always told me." Of course, Ryan wanted me to keep reading, pleaded with me to keep reading. So, with his begging and my childhood memories, how could I not read it? It made me realize how much my dad really loved me, he shared with me and showed me the most important things in life, how God is faithful.

I love my dad dearly, I miss being able to hear him talk. I wish I had valued him more when his mind was still here. I think I valued him highly, I just wish I had expressed it more often.

Thanks Dad, for the rich heritage you gave me. I didn't always agree with you and your decisions about my life, but I am thankful that you allowed me to grow up with a knowledge of who God is and the need for him in my life. I am thankful I can pass this along to the next generation and they can to the next, God willing.

2 comments:

  1. Guess Dad must have loved you more - I don't remember him telling me Bible stories. I do remember him reading a chapter of the Bible to us everynight after supper - OH how, I hated that then. I'm glad he did instill a love for God & the scripture in us though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember a word of it when he read at the table. I was told those stories when Dad and I hung out when Mom worked and I was with Dad all day. Sorry you missed out, it probably had all to do with timing.

    ReplyDelete