Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Weekend to Remember........Family Reunion





If you are visiting this for the first time, start with my previous posts as this is a continuation of the story....

People started having to leave the reunion. I was sad that time had started to move on and that this wonderful day had to end. Aunt Louise (my oldest living relative) came over to me at the ball game to say good-bye and she took my arms in her hands and said, "This is the best family reunion we have ever had. And, God willing, I will be at the next one too." Sorry, can't control the tears on this one either, that meant so much to me because I was feeling it was the best one too, but I thought that was just me. Others started leaving and it was sad reality that this wonderful time together as a family was going to soon end. I hated that part!!!

The night was topped off by a display of fireworks that Jim had gotten from our neighbor. These were the good kind that made hot ashes fall on those watching. We sat and enjoyed and then became patriotic and started singing patriotic songs. We clapped and cheered and had a great time. When it was over we packed up chairs and headed inside to bathe the kids and put them to bed. Once again, some of us sat up and chatted and one by one everyone was off to bed. Kathy and I were the last to give in but got to spend some great quiet moments together. It was special.

Prior to us all going off to bed, we discussed the traditional "Cousins on the Couch" picture. We decided that the little children were spent and this could be a recipe for disaster, so Michele and Tim agreed to come back in the morning before they left for home so that we could get the picture taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment