Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Cooking 2015

As promised, I am cooking more at home and sharing the experience with you, my friend!

First off, I couldn't resist the making brownies in the crock pot.  I just used a mix, Ghirardelli brand with chocolate chips. I made it following the directions on the box and poured the batter into the crock pot. I think I should wash the outside of my crock pot, my mother would be mortified!

Four hours later, we had ooey gooey chewy brownies. DELICIOUS!

In order to use up some of the ham we had left over from before Christmas, I decided to make potatoes au gratin from a box. I hate those boxed potatoes but they were on sale at Woodmans so I caved.

Ryan informed me that he does not like ham and would not be eating any of this. I had made a double batch-bad plan. The potatoes tasted kind of strange, they had some odd flavor that none of us cared for. Dan thought I put cinnamon in them. I did not. The left-overs went to the garbage, but most actually did get eaten. Ryan had left-over goulash. He has been enjoying that for many meals since that was brought in when I was ill. 

Today, I had a plan. This is the important part of the whole process. I downloaded the All Recipes' app on my phone and iPad. This should help me at least find ideas and plan meals. 

Since we were going to a movie, I opted to use the crock pot once again. As you can see, I did not clean the outside. I may or may not do that. This is a cabbage roll. I prepared them just before we went to the movie and it was pretty simple. I have never made cabbage rolls before. So, for a first time, I think I did quite well. Primarily, it is a meatloaf or meatball wrapped in cabbage. I couldn't really even taste the cabbage. 


My final fun adventure for the day is the resurrection of my bread maker. It has sat unused for more than 14 years. I am pretty sure I have never used it since we moved into this house. It was long over due. Here is the mushroom cloud loaf that ended up tasting just awesome, like any warm homemade bread should and in my book is just a mode of transportation for butter. I need to make sure I give these loaves away if I start enjoying making bread too much. I don't need the weight back. 

So, there it is, my first food entry of the year. We will see how this goes. 
By the way, I am reading my One Year Bible. Still on track in that area too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment