Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Supper Is Ready When the Smoke Alarm Goes Off

Dinner tonight was a bit crazy. I had a good plan, for four. We had six! Ryan had two friends over. These two brothers are such good kids, I really enjoy their company, so I gladly said they could come. Now, I had to improvise dinner a bit.

The original was four bacon wrapped filet of beef. Sounds fancy but I got them at Aldi. I had potatoes in the oven that I had wrapped up and put in the oven early in the day with the auto start feature on so I would not have to "remember" to get the potatoes in soon enough. I saw a video on using pancake batter to coat food for frying. I know, frying isn't probably the best, but I wanted a more "restaurant" experience so we would eat more at home and see eating out as something a bit more special. I sliced some onions, dipped them in pancake batter that I had added paprika and garlic powder to. I had some Crisco-think-"The Help". I deep fried the onions. Not quite a success since the batter did not stick to the onion, but, the onions cooked and the batter became crunchy, so with a stretch of the imagination, they were pretty good onion rings.

I sauted mushrooms and onions to top the steaks. They were really good. That, was a success. I used butter.

So, four steaks, six people. Ryan and one friend opted to do goulash...it is officially gone now. Jake, opted for pork chops. Ryan and John ended up splitting the last steak and we had the rest of the loaf of homemade bread from last night.

Baked potato with steak and mushrooms, onion rings, and I topped mine with a salad. Vegetables never seem to be as important to others as me. So, I think I am the only one who had a salad. Oh well. We got some food eaten out of the refrigerator and Ryan shared his hot fudge with his friends by having hot fudge sundaes.

But, you know, it wouldn't have been a real meal without the smoke detector going off. Happens every time I use my broiler. I need to remember to close the bedroom door next time.

Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment