Saturday, December 5, 2020

An Early Lesson in Thankfulness

I wanted to be sure to add being thankful to my new year's daily routine. I got an early start this past week. I have been struggling since September with some pretty annoying shoulder pain. I have gone along with all the suggestions of my medical providers. However, little improvement has happened. So, I am continuing on with the treatment plan. So, Wednesday I was scheduled for an MRI. Being in pain for several months and trying to do normal everyday activities with a gimpy shoulder is pretty annoying. I have always said I could take anything as long as it doesn't involve pain. I completed my scan and was waiting to get into the dressing room to leave. As I was seated on the chair, I observed another woman who was preparing to go in for her scan. Let me tell you, it caused me to pause and thank God for my health and that I was only there for a sore shoulder. This woman had very little hair on her head, so, I assume a chemo/radiation patient. It was hard not to also notice the large scar on her scalp and a big indentation in her skull. (I wasn't staring-I observe things quickly) The woman was probably younger than me, walking with a walker. Despite all of the issues that she was certainly facing, she had a sweet spirit and was very pleasant. I could not blame her for being bitter and complaining, but she did not. It woke me up to a realization, I need to remember to be always grateful for my health, despite pain and annoyances. So, I am starting early.

No comments:

Post a Comment