Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Bible Reading

 I have put a challenge out on Facebook for others to join me in reading through the Bible this year. Let me tell you about why this has become so very important to me.


My dad was a Godly man who spent hours reading his Bible every day. It could have been considered an occupational hazard since he was a pastor. But, he was committed to it, and I watched for years as he cherished his quiet time. For many years at our dinner table growing up, back when families actually ate dinner at a table at the same time, Dad would always end our meal with Bible reading. I hated it! It was boring and I cannot for the life of me remember one word of what I heard in all of those years. (My sisters could weigh in on this-they probably listened-one of them anyway!) But, suffice it to say, Bible reading is in my DNA. 

But, it didn't become habit until the day my dad went to Heaven. That was the day, October 18, 2014 that I told myself, "You are going to start reading the Bible daily!" And I started. I finished the One Year Bible that year, starting in late October. Then I believe I used the One Year Bible for 2015. I was then introduced to the 5 Day Bible Reading plan that I have used ever since. It has worked quite well for me, however, not without fail. 

Stupidly, when life got tough and I went through a really dark time in my life, I quit. I could hardly put one foot in front of the other and instead of digging in and sticking with it, I quit. That was a dumb decision. I regret it and won't allow that to happen again. 

So, this is my encouraging advice to you. When you feel like quitting, feeling like you don't have the time or the energy-stay the course. Keep going. Ask the group for support. Be accountable to the group or to someone privately. Just KEEP ON!!!!! 

When I fell to these times of stopping, one thing I found helpful was to just pick up at the date of the day I could regroup and start again. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to go back and catch up. Just start on the day you are at and push forward. It will become more enjoyable and fulfilling if you forgive yourself and start again. No pressure!! 


Every year I seem to find myself circling a reading that was meaningful to me. For 2019 and 2020 I circled Psalm 27. Take a look at it. It is very encouraging and for this year I am going to try and memorize at least the verses that really speak to me. Maybe even the whole Psalm...not making any promises, but a good start may just happen. (You can ask me how it is going!) 


So, be encouraged, friends. Remember what the Psalm says, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."  (119:105) We really need a light in this dark world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment