Sunday, December 27, 2020

An Interuption

I don't usually write fiction, but I was kind of challenged while attending a Christmas Eve service. God spoke to me about what it must have been like to be there, at the actual event. Having been a labor and delivery nurse for many years, births come and go and rarely does one stand out above all of the others. This story that is brewing in my brain brings a bit of perspective from the ones who were probably there that go unmentioned. I hope it comes together and gives glory to the God who made our celebrations possible along with giving the best gift to us.

 A census? What in the world is Caesar Augustus thinking? Why didn't Quirinius step in and prevent this from happening? These evil men who always think they can control our lives! What is this all about now? Don't they understand that Bethlehem will become crazy and overcrowded? We do not have room for all of the thousands of people who are of the line of David to come and stay with us. This political move is nothing but a proof of power and will only cause us all to have to pay more taxes, lining the pockets of these evil leaders. Oh, that we would have a new king! It has been so long since we have seen any sign of reprieve from the evil that exists in our world. As long as I can remember there has been talk of the coming Messiah. Certainly it has to happen soon or this world is bound for permanent destruction. I only hope that the king who comes to take over can do it without too many lives being destroyed. After all, there has never been a peaceful transfer of power, only those marked with death and bloodshed. What I have learned though, it has been 400 years since we have heard any new talk of a coming Messiah. I wonder if it will really ever happen or if the prophets of old got the story wrong. Perhaps their predictions are just made up theories that really have no accuracy. I personally am losing all hope in ever seeing the powerful Messiah coming to power in this dark world where everyone seems to be living only to benefit themselves. Now, that is certainly obvious with this mandated census and impending tax.

 It has been a busy year for me as a midwife to the city of Bethlehem. Although we are a small little area, there remains women who are working at increasing the population. Tonight, as so many people are invading out little quiet village, I am hoping for some rest. I have firsthand knowledge of all the women who were great with child over the past month, they have all delivered and no one is due soon. A break in the action. I am grateful for that. I can hopefully get some of my own chores done at home this evening since there should be no new little ones arriving tonight. Thankfully, I was able to get to the well early this morning and we should have plenty of water for tomorrow. I have made plenty of bread and will be all set for a relaxing day off tomorrow from the normal life of caring for the women who are bringing new life into this world. With thoughts of that, I am ready to get my family to bed. 

Bang! Bang! Bang! 
What is that? Someone is pounding at my door. Why? I know of no one ready to deliver today. No one is due to have a baby. I have delivered them all. What is this all about?

 “Haddasah! Hurry, we need you!?” a voice was yelling at my door. 

I am all tucked in, my family is sleeping and I am not eager to wake them all as I climb out of bed. Who is this insisting that I get up?

 “Who are you, knocking at my door at this late hour?” I called out, trying not to wake all of the children who were nestled in for the night. My husband, sleeping right through the commotion of this all. How is it that men can sleep so soundly? Perhaps that is my plight in life as a midwife, to never really be able to sleep so soundly that even the softest of sounds awaken me. But this? This is not a soft sound, this banging on my door could potentially even waken the soundest of sleepers. I must figure out how to climb out over the children and get to the door before this keeps on.

 “Stop! I am coming,” I whispered as I carefully stepped between each of my children. Getting to the door as fast as I could, I opened and was greeted by a couple of very frazzled looking men.

 “Come quickly!” they cried. “There is a guest at the inn who has gone into labor. We need someone to attend the delivery. We don’t know what to do.” Men, of course they wouldn’t know what to do, they may help animals give birth, but a woman? Never.

 “Grab my water,” I said, thinking there is a potential there won’t be enough at an inn that is overcrowded with guest. Thankful I had not just replenished enough for my family, but I had convinced my children to visit the well with me and bring back a surplus of water in hopes for one day off from getting the water supply. Once more my mind wandered to the frustration I was feeling about the government putting their noses into our business and demanding that we be counted and taxed. One more reminder of the overreaching of government into the daily affairs of life. Really, why do we have to just sit back and take this? When will there be a solution to the tyranny of this government?

 “Stop!” I tell my mind. Quit dwelling on this negativity. There is obviously a much more serious issue to deal with-right now, someone is in labor and needing my professional assistance. “Concentrate on what you can do,” I told myself.

 Running quickly, trying to keep up with the men who woke me up, I am surprised that we run right past the entrance to the inn.

 “Where are you leading me?” I yell, “The inn’s door is right here!”

 “The woman is back here,” they explain as they lead me back to the stable.

 “An animal? I was called to attend a calving? What is happening to me?” my mind had a million thoughts. I am not an animal midwife, why was I called to a stable? I entered the outer area of the stable and in the dimness I could see a very nervous man not from around this area. Even in the darkness I could tell I didn’t recognize him as a local. 

“Can you help?” his voice quivered. “We did not expect that labor would happen here. We have come from Nazareth to participate in the census. I thought we would have time to get back there before this happened…” his voice wandered off as he tried to explain even to himself what was happening.

 “I can,” I assured him. “My name is Haddasah, I am a midwife. I can take care of your wife.” He gave me a look of relief. I headed in further to the area near the manger. “Heat up the water on the fire,” I ordered the men before I left them. “We will need warm water and as many rags as you can find, this is a less than ideal place to be delivering a child,” I had been in many homes to assist in many deliveries, never had I had a woman laboring in a stable. “What a mess this overcrowding has caused! Did we not have anyone more hospitable in this whole village?” once again, my mind straying to the plight that this census had caused.

 I approached the woman, “What is your name?” I whispered softly as she finished a contraction. 

“Mary.” The young girl stated. As I looked, I knew this was her first. She was so very young. No chance that she had done this before. She had to have been barely married before conceiving based on my observation of her young age. Another contraction began.

 “Breathe, Mary,” I instructed softly. As the contraction ended, I performed my duties as a midwife in assessing the progress. “It won’t be long. Your little girl or boy will be here soon.”

 “He’s a boy,” she spoke as the contraction ended. “He is a boy!” She repeated with such assurance. I have seen many births and women very sure of the gender being pleasantly surprised once the baby reveals itself. This one was different. Her confidence was stronger than any I had seen. She convinced me, a skeptical midwife, this child was going to be a boy.

 Mary cried out in pain. The baby was coming. There was no time to get her moved into a cleaner area. No time to move a paying guest out of a clean inn room in order to accommodate a soon to be mother. We will just try to make the best of the situation here. The inn keeper’s wife, Rachael, had supplied the area with fresh straw while she waited for me to arrive. Her daughter had followed my direction of getting some rags ready. Other women had assembled to bring in water and supplies as needed. The men were all pacing out in the yard, some attending to the fire, some attending to the father to be.

 One long cry from the pregnant woman as the infant moved from her body to the world. Wet with water and blood, he entered the world. Yes, it is a boy. I used some cloths to dry his wet slippery body off as I placed him into the arms of his mother. Sweat pouring off her brow, her face glowing in wonder and affection for this tiny human being. As he cried and assured us that his lungs were working, I assessed his skin. Even in the darkness I could tell his was becoming pink as his heart was doing the work it needed to pump that blood through his body. I continued my job and cut the cord. As Mary held him to her chest, he did what he knew to do and found his way to her breast. Her placenta delivered right on schedule. No complications. I was so grateful. It was bad enough to think of where she had to deliver, certainly she deserved an easy transition from being pregnant to being a mother.

 What was it though? There was something about this baby that seemed different to me. He cried like a normal baby, he nursed at his mother’s breast, he pooped. He did all of the things a baby was supposed to do, but somewhere in my heart, I felt there was a difference.

 In the hours that followed, it was a very unusual occurrence. Out of nowhere, what seemed very odd and unusual, shepherds came to see the baby. Seriously? Shepherds? Why would those dirty animal tending less than human creatures be hanging out looking at this baby? I overheard one telling someone nearby about a bright light waking them while they were in the field. Then, because I love to hear a good story, I kept listening.

 “We were all sleeping except Jacob, it was his turn to be awake to protect the sheep,” he started to say. “We thought the commotion was an animal or a thief, but NO, it was in the sky. Not a human or an animal but angels telling us that in the city of Bethlehem a child had been born.” He continued to explain how the angels spoke and told them where to go. It sounded like the most frightening thing that could have ever happened, worse than a bear or a lion. I decided I would forgive them for bringing their dirty bodies to the site where a child had been born. I was convinced they were in the right to be there. I wouldn’t argue with angels. Angels? My spirit was once again moved to realizing there was something different about this child. I hoped to see what would happen in the next few days.

The story will continue. I am working on more...I didn't want to hold on to this as I developed it, I needed to share. Please let me know what you think. Thanks~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment